Bus Proposition Vote Aug. 31

Voting on a proposition to purchase a 65-passenger bus and two 7-passenger vehicles will be held at Schenevus Central School on Monday, Aug. 31. 
The proposition would authorize the district to purchase:
  • One 65-passenger school bus.
  • Two vehicles that can accommodate up to seven passengers.
While the maximum the district could spend to purchase these three vehicles is $181,000, nearly all of that spending will be offset by state aid.
Transportation purchases are aided annually at 90%, which means that local taxpayers would be responsible for only the remaining 10%, or about $18,100, of the purchase.
WHO CAN VOTE?
Voting is open to qualified voters of the Schenevus Central School District: Qualified voters are those who are:
  • A citizen of the United States;
  • 18 or older;
  • Resident within the school district for a period of 30 days preceding the vote.
HOW DO I VOTE?
Polls will be open from noon to 9 p.m. Monday, Aug, 31, in the Draper Room at Schenevus Central School, 159 Main St., Schenevus.
Voters will be asked to maintain social distance as much as possible while in the school building and to wear face coverings. Voters may be asked to present identification.
WHY BUY NEW VEHICLES?
School buses and other vehicles must meet certain minimum safety standards if they are to be used to transport students. The proposition would allow the district to replace a 5-year-old school bus that is no longer covered by a warranty. The 5-year-old bus trade-in value is based on it being traded in at the 5-year mark. Trading in the vehicles the district is looking to replace will more than pay for the local share of this proposition.
If the bus is not replaced, the district would have to cover the increased expense of having a mechanic more frequently, as well as the expense of bus parts that are no longer covered under warranty.
The district also plans to purchase two passenger vehicles to transport students to and from BOCES programs. Without these vehicles, the district would have to put more wear and tear on school buses that already travel thousands of miles every school year.
WHAT ABOUT THE MERGER?
The ongoing merger study does not change the district’s responsibility to provide safe, reliable transportation for its current students.
Even if the district did move toward a merger, the earliest Schenevus and Worcester could merge is still at least two years away. The bus that the district is looking to replace is not likely to last that long without needing repair or replacement.